Pilates VS Yoga – Which one is better for you?
How to lose the last 10 pounds of pregnancy weight
How to educate your kids on healthy eating
Teaching Young Children a Theory of Nutrition: Conceptual Change and the Potential for Increased Vegetable Consumption, Association for Psychological Science, 2013
Savage et al. The Addition of a Plain or Herb-Flavored Reduced-Fat Dip Is Associated with Improved Preschoolers’ Intake of Vegetables. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2013.
5 myths for getting a flat stomach
Does eating at night cause weight gain?
Arble et al. Circadian Timing of Food Intake Contributes to Weight Gain. Obesity, 2009.
Andersen et al. Night eating and weight change in middle-aged men and women. International Journal of Obesity 2004.
Cleator et al. Night eating syndrome: implications for sever obesity. Nutr Diabetes 2012.
Can fiber help you lose weight?
Freeland et al. Acute effects of dietary fibre and glycaemic carbohydrate on appetite and food intake in healthy males. Appetite, 2009.
Delargy et al. Effects of amount and type of dietary fibre (soluble and insoluble) on short-term control of appetite. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 1997.
Does a vegetarian diet increase life expectancy?
Singh et al. Does low meat consumption increase life expectancy in humans? Am J Clin Nutr, 2003
Orlich et al. Vegetarian Dietary Patters and Mortality in Adventist Health Study 2. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2013.
Rohrmann et al. Meat consumption and mortality – results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition.BMC Medicine, 2013
Are genetically modified foods unhealthy?
World Health Organization. 20 Questions on Genetically Modified Foods
Bakshi et al. Potential adverse health effect of genetically modified crops. J Toxicol Environ Health B Crit Rev. 2003
Strength training benefits for everyone
Is instant oatmeal healthy?
- Katz D. A Scientific Review of the Health Benefits of Oats. Yale University School of Medicine. 2001.
How to boost your metabolism after holiday eating
- Zurlo et al. Skeletal muscle metabolism is a major determinant of resting energy expenditure. J Clin Invest. 1990
- Yoshioka et al. Effects of red pepper added to high-fat and high-carbohydrate meals on energy metabolism and substrate utilization in Japanese women. British journal of nutrition.
- Spiegel et al. Impact of sleep debt on metabolic and endocrine function. The Lancet 1999.
- Acheson et al Caffeine and coffee: their influence on metabolic rate and substrate utilization in normal weight and obese individuals. Am J Clin Nutr 1980.
Are ‘superfoods’ really super?
- Kingston University (2012, October 5). Experts challenge super food claims: Healthy-giving properties of broccoli, blueberries, may not make it past the gut. ScienceDaily.
How to get rid of a beer belly?
- Britton et al. Body Fat Distribution, Incident Cardiovascular Disease, Cancer, and All-cause Mortality. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 2013
Does Lifting Weights Burn Fat Faster Than Cardio?
- Winett et al. Potential Health-Related Benefits of Resistance Training. Preventative Medicine 2001.
- Ismail et al. A systematic Review and meta-analysis of the effect of aerobic vs. resistance exercise training on visceral fat. Obesity Reviews 2012.
- Willis et al. Effects of aerobic and/or resistance training on body mass and fat mass in overweight or obese adults. J Appl Physiol, 2012.
- Ho et al. The effect of 12 weeks of aerobic, resistance or combination exercise training on cardiovascular risk factors in the overweight and obese in a randomized trial. BMC Public Health 2012.
What is the TLC Diet and can it help you lose weight?
- U.S Department of Health and Human Services
- American College of Cardiology: The TLC Diet
5 unusual diet tips that work
- Van Ittersum et al. Plate Size and Color Suggestibility: The Delboeuf Illusion’s Bias on Serving and Eating Behaviour. Journal of Consumer Research, 2012
Health Benefits of Herbs and Spices
- Craig et al. Health-promoting properties of common herbs. Am J Clin Nutr, 1999.
- Craig et al. Phytochemicals: Guradians of our Health. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Leelavinothan et al. Role of curcumin in health and disease. Archives of physiology and biochemistry, 2008.
- Gruenwald et al. Cinnamon and Health. Critical Reviews in Food Science. 2010.
- McKay et al. A review of the bioactivity and potential health benefits of chamomile tea (Matricaria recutita). Phytotherapy Research.
- Delaquis et al. Antimicrobial activity of individual and mixed fractions of dill, cilantro, coriander and eucalyptus essential oils. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 2002.
- Abe et al. Effects of saffron extract and its constituent crocin on learning behaviour and long-term potentiation. Phytotherapy Research 2000.
- Tapsell et al. Health benefits of herbs and spices: the past, the present, the future. Medical Journal of Australia, 2006.
Is Soy healthy?
- University of Maryland Medical Centre – umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/soy
- Messina et al. Report on the 8th International Symposium onthe Role of Soy in Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention and Treatment. The Journal of Nutrition Supplement: 8th International Soy Symposium.
The Best Fish to Eat for Weight Loss
- Thorsdottir et al. Randomized trial of weight-loss-diets for young adults varying in fish and fish oil content. International Journal of Obesity. 2007
What are antioxidants and why do we need them
- Williams et al. Flavonoids: antioxidants or signalling molecules? Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2004.
- Arts et al. Polyphenols and disease risk in epidemiologic studies. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005.
- Boffetta et al. Fruit and Vegetable Intake and Overall Cancer Risk in the European Prospective Investigation Into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC). J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010.
10 surprising health benefits of yogurt
- Tsuchiya et al. Higher satiety ratings following yogurt consumption relative to fruit drink or dairy fruit drink. J Am Diet Assoc. 2006.
- Pala et al. Yogurt consumption and risk of colorectal cancer in the Italian European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition cohort. Int J Cancer 2011.
- Kawakita et al. Inverse association between yoghurt intake and upper aerodigestive tract cancer risk in a Japanese population. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2012.
- Meydani et al. Immunologic effects of yogurt. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2000.
- Adolfsson et al. Yogurt and gut function. Am J Clin Nutr 2004.
- Wang et al. Yogurt consumption is associated with better diet quality and metabolic profile in American men and women. Nutrition Research 2013.
- Alonso et al. Low-fat dairy consumption and reduced risk of hypertension: the Seguimiento Univerdiad de Navarra (SUN) cohort. Am J Clin Nutr 2005.
- Mozaffarian et al. Changes in Diet and Lifestyle and Long-Term Weight Gain in Women and Men. N Engl J Med 2011.
- Jeavons et al. Prevention and Treatment of Vulvovaginal Candidiasis Using Exogenous Lactobacillus. JOGNN.
HIIT: Is it really the fastest way to lose fat?
- Shiraev et al. Evidence based exercise-clinical benefits of high intensity interval training. Aust Fam Physician 2012.
- Boutcher et al. High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise and Fat Loss. Journal of Obesity 2011.
- Trapp et al. The effects of high-intensity intermittent exercise training on fat loss and fasting insulin levels of young women. International Journal Of Obesity 2008.
Best Exercise for your body type
- University of Harvard – http://www.uh.edu/fitness/comm_educators/impossible_goals.htm
How to get stronger bones with diet and exercise
- Office of Dietary Supplements -http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/
- Centre for Disease Control and Prevention – http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/vitamins/calcium.html
- National Health Service UK – http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/strongbones.aspx
Why is exercise important for maintaining good health
- Blair, S.N., (2009) Physical inactivity: the biggest public health problem of the 21st century British Journal of Sports Medicine 43:1-2 http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/43/1/1.full
- Gleeson, M., (2007) Immune function in sport and exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology 103; 2: 693-699 http://jap.physiology.org/content/103/2/693.full.pdf+html
- Radak, Z., Chung, H.Y., Goto, S., (2005) Exercise and hormesis: oxidative stress-related adaptation for successful aging. Biogerontology 6: 71–75 http://tf.hu/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Rad%C3%A1k-Zsolt-NTK-41.pdf
- Rajbahandary, R., Khezri, A., Panush, R.S., (2011), Rheumatoid cachexia: What is it and why is it important? The Journal of Rheumatology. 38; 3: 406-408. http://jerheum.org/content/38/3/406.full
How to Increase Satiety without Eating More
- Mattes R. et al Soup and satiety. Physiol Behav 2005.
- Cell Press (2012, July 5). How a protein meal tells your brain you’re full. ScienceDaily. Retrieved June 19, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com¬/releases/2012/07/120705172041.htm
- Paddon Jones et al. Protein, Weight Management and satiety. American Journal of Clincal Nutrition 2008.
- Slavin, J. and Green, H. (2007), Dietary fibre and satiety. Nutrition Bulletin, 32: 32–42. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-3010.2007.00603.x
10 Ways to Get Calcium without Dairy
- Gao X et al. Meeting adequate intake for dietary calcium without dairy foods in adolescents aged 9 to 18 years (National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2001-2002).J Am Diet Assoc. 2006
- dos Santos et al. Calcium intake and its relationship with adiposity and insulin resistance in post-pubertal adolescents.J Hum Nutr Diet. 2008
Minimize the appearance of cellulite
- Boschmann M. et al. Water drinking induces thermogenesis through osmosensitive mechanisms. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007.
- Rawlings AV et al. Cellulite and its treatment. Int J Cosmet Sci, 2006.
Ten myths and truths about muscle building
- Effects of rapid or slow weight loss on body composition and metabolic risk factors in obese postmenopausal women. A pilot study by Martin Sénéchala, Appetite June 2012.
- Building Muscle, Challenging Current Dogma
Simple ways to reduce belly fat
- Yale University. “Stress May Cause Excess Abdominal Fat In Otherwise Slender Women, Study Conducted At Yale Shows.”ScienceDaily, 23 Nov. 2000. Web. 3 Jun. 2013.
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center. “Soluble fiber strikes a blow to belly fat.” ScienceDaily, 27 Jun. 2011. Web. 3 Jun. 2013.
- Park et al. The association between sleep duration and general abdominal obesity in Koreans: data from the Korean National Health Examination Survey 2001 and 2005 Obesity (Silver Spring). 2009
- De Assis Costa et al. The consumption of low glycemic meals reduces abdominal obesity in subjects with excess body weight. Nutr Hosp. 2012
Does sugar cause weight gain?
- Te Morenga et al. Dietary sugars and body weight: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomised controlled trials and cohort studiesBMJ 2012
- Does Sugar Play A Role In Weight Gain? An International Conference Held In Paris Takes Stock
- Australian Diabetes Council’s position on sugar
- Australian Diabetes Council calls for balanced eating, not fad diets
How to stop binge eating and regain control
- Robert L. Spitzer et al. Binge eating disorder: Its further validation in a multisite study. International Journal Of Eating Disorders 1993.
- Kimberly A. Brownley et al. Binge eating disorder treatment: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials†. International Journal of Eating Disorders 2007.
10 diet changes for better health
- Wyatt et al. Long-term weight loss and breakfast in subjects in the National Weight Control Registry. Obes res 2002.
- Flores-Mateo et al. Nut intake and adiposity: meta-analysis of clinical trials. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2013
Is your diet making you fat?
- Farshchi et al. Beneficial metabolic effects of regular meal frequency on dietary thermogenesis, insulin sensitivity, and fasting lipid profiles in healthy obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2005.
- Yang. Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings. Yale J Biol Med. 2010
Why you should start your day with exercise
- Van Proeyen et al. Training in the fasted state improves glucose tolerance during fat-rich diet.J Physiol. 2010
- Gonzalez et al. Breakfast and exercise contingently affect postprandial metabolism and energy balance in physically active males
- British Journal of Nutrition
Breakfast mistakes that can cause weight gain
- USDA Breakfast Consumption, Body Weight, and
- Nutrient Intake: A Review of the Evidence
Should you be drinking water while exercising?
- Convertino et al. American College of Sports Medicine position stand. Exercise and fluid replacement.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1996
Lose more weight by tracking your food
- Kong et al. Self-Monitoring and Eating-Related Behaviors Are Associated with 12-Month Weight Loss in Postmenopausal Overweight-to-Obese Women. Academy of Nutr and Diet 2012.
- Kaiser Permanente (2008, July 8). Keeping A Food Diary Doubles Diet Weight Loss, Study Suggests. ScienceDaily. Retrieved April 24,
Exercising with type 2 diabetes
- The American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes Association: joint position statement. Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010.
Should you avoid high fructose corn syrup?
- Bray et al. Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004.
- Forshee et al. A critical examination of the evidence relating high fructose corn syrup and weight gain. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2007
- Duffey et al. High-fructose corn syrup: is this what’s for dinner? Am J Clin Nutr. 2008
- White JS, Straight talk about high-fructose corn syrup: what it is and what it ain’t. Am J Clin Nutr 2008.
- American Medical Association. Report 3 of the Council on Science and Public Health. The health effects of high fructose syrup.2009.
- American Medical Association. AMA finds high fructose syrup unlikely to be more harmful to health than other calorie sweeteners. American Medical Association Press Release.2008.
Is Stevia healthy?
Everything you need to know about food preservatives
- Centre for Science in the Public Interest: Chemical Cuisine
- US Food and Drug Administration
Is the sugar in fruit unhealthy?
- Comza et al.Effect of Fructose on Glycemic Control in Diabetes: A systematic review andmeta-analysis of controlled feeding trials. Diabetes Care, 2012;
- Pollock et al. Greater Fructose Consumption Is Associated with Cardiometabolic Risk Markers andVisceral Adiposity in Adolescents. Journal of Nutrition, 2011;
Are there any side effects from protein powders?
- Barzel et al. Excess Dietary Protein Can Adversely Affect Bone .Journal of Nutrition 1998
- JAMA and Archives Journals (2010, February 18). Reduced kidney function, high levels of protein in urine associated with adverse outcomes. ScienceDaily.
Is the mediterranean diet healthy?
- Adherence to Mediterranean diet and health status: meta-analysis BMJ 2008
- Serra-Majem et al. Scientific evidence of interventions using the Mediterranean diet: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2006
- Kastorini CM, Milionis HJ, Esposito K, et al. The effect of Mediterranean diet on metabolic syndrome and its components. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 57:1299-313
- Estruch et al. Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet. New Engl Journal of Medicine. 2013
How Many Meals a Day Should You Eat to Lose Weight?
- Choi K, Kim Y. Molecular Mechanism of Insulin Resistance on Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. 2010.
- Guagnono et al. Risk factors for hypertension in obese women. The role of weight cycling. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2000.
- Intermountain Healthcare (2011) New Research Finds Routine Periodic Fasting is Good for Your Health, and Your Heart. http://intermountainhealthcare.org/about/news/Pages/home.aspx?NewsID=713
- Jenkins et al. Nibbling versus gorging: metabolic advantages of increased meal frequency. New England Journal of Medicine. 1989.
- Varady et al. Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: a novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. 2009.
10 health benefits of brown rice
- Panlasqui et al Blood Glucose Lowering effects of brown rice in normal and diabetic subjects. Int. J Food Sci Nutr. 2006
- Tsai et al. Long-Term Intake of Dietary Fiber and Decreased Risk of Cholecystectomy in Women. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2004.
- Hudson et al. Characterization of potentially chemopreventive phenols in extracts of brown rice that inhibit the growth of human breast and colon cancer cells. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2000.
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (2010, April 27). Brown rice and cardiovascular protection
- American Heart Association (2012, September 18). Sesame and rice bran oil lowers blood pressure, improves cholesterol. ScienceDaily.
Is coconut oil healthy? The real truth
- Position of the American Dietetic Association and Dietitians of Canada: Dietary Fatty AcidsJ Am Diet Assoc. 2007;107: 1599-1611. POSITION STATEMENT.
- Assuncao et al. Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of wmen presenting with abdominal obesity. Lipids. 2009
- Pennutrition: Cardiovascular Disease-Dyslipidemia
Foods You Thought Were Unhealthy, But Really Aren’t!
- American Chemical Society (ACS) (2012, March 25). Popcorn: The snack with even higher antioxidants levels than fruits and vegetables
- Health Risks and Benefits of Alcohol Consumption Alcohol Research and Health
Does beer cause weight gain?
- Calories Consumed From Alcoholic Beverages by U.S. Adults 2007-2010. NCHS Data Brief, November 2012, CDC.
- Wannamethee et al. Alcohol, body weight and weight gain in middle-aged men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2003.
What to eat to lower your cholesterol?
- Law. Plant sterol and stanol margarines and health. West J Med 2000.
- American Heart Foundation.
What is the Intermittent Fasting Diet and does it help with Weight Loss?
- Kroeger et al. Improvement in coronary heart disease risk factors during an intermittent fasting/calorie restriction regimen: Relationship to adipokine modulations Nutrition & Metabolism 2012, 9:98
- Halagappa et al. Intermittent fasting and caloric restriction ameliorate age-relatedbehavioral deficits in the triple-transgenic mouse model ofAlzheimer’s disease. Neurobiology of Disease 26 (2007)
- Varady et al. Alternate-day fasting and chronic disease prevention: a review of human and animal trials. Am J Clin Nutr July 2007.
Do vitamins increase appetite?
- Magoulas. How color affects food choices. University of Nevada, Las Vegas 2009
- Appraisal of the Use of Vitamins B1 and B12 as Supplements Promoted for the Stimulation of Growth and Appetite in Children. Committee on Nutrition. Paediatrics. 1958
- Schultz et al. THE EFFECT OF VARIED VITAMIN B INGESTION UPON THE APPETITE OF CHILDEN. Nutr. May 1, 1938 vol. 15 no. 5 411-427
10 Simple ways to eat well and stay healthy
- American Guidelines for Physical Activity http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/adultguide/part1.aspx
Are bananas good for a weight loss diet?
Should you do cardio or weights first at the gym?
- Drummond et al. Aerobic and resistance exercise sequence affects excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. J Strength Cond Res, 2005.
- Palmer et al. Running economy is impaired following a single bout of resistance exercise. J Sci Med Sport 2001.
Is canned fruit healthy?
- Rickman et al. Nutrition comparison of fresh, frozen and canned fruits and vegetables. Part 1. Vitamins C and B and phenolic compounds. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2007
- Rickman et al. Review. Nutritional comparison of fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables II. Vitamin A and carotenoids, vitamin E, minerals and ﬁber . Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2007.
What is the Juice Diet and is it Effective for Weight Loss?
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: Food and nutrition misinformation. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2006
- Juicing. American Cancer Society.
Top 10 most addictive food
- Cocores et al The Salted Food Addiction Hypothesis may explain overeating and the obesity epidemic. Medical Hypotheses 2009.
- Avena et al. Sugar and Fat Bingeing Have Notable Differences in Addictive-like Behvaiour. The Journal of Nutrition.
- Bruinsma et al. Chocolate: Food or Drug? J Am Diet Assoc. 1999.
- Gearhardt et al. Preliminary validation of the Yale Food Addiction Scale, Appetite 2009.
- Avena et al Food and Addiction- Sugars, Fats and Hedonic Overeating. Addiction, 2011.
10 exercises never to do at the gym
- Centre For Physical Activity in Aging. http://www.cpaa.sa.gov.au/benefits_exercise/avoid.html
- American Council on Exercise. Best and Worst Ab Exercises. http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/BestWorstAbExercises.pdf
10+1 reasons to eat apples daily
- Hyson, D. 2011. A Comprehensive Review of Apples and Apple Components and Their Relationship to Human Health
10 benefits of strength training for women
- Williams et al. Cardiology and Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism. Update : A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association Council on Clinical
- Resistance Exercise in Individuals With and Without Cardiovascular Disease: 2007
- American College of Physicians (2007, September 18). Both Aerobic And Resistance Exercise Improved Blood Sugar Control In People With Diabetes. ScienceDaily. Retrieved January 11, 2013, from
- Eric B. Rimm. A Prospective Study of Weight Training and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in MenWeight Training and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2012
- Flack et al. Aging, Resistance Training, and Diabetes Prevention. J Aging Res, 2011.
- Exercise for preventing and treating osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Cochrane Review. http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD000333/exercise-for-preventing-and-treating-osteoporosis-in-postmenopausal-women
10 most common nutrition myths
Are eggs good for you?
- Vandel Wal et al. Egg breakfast enhances weight loss. Int J Obes. 2008
- Vander Wal et al. Short-term effect of eggs on satiety in overweight and obese subjects. J Am Coll Nutr. 2005
How to drink more water
10 Healthy Post Workout Snacks
- Burke et al. Carbohydrates and fat for Training and Recovery. Journal of Sports Sciences 2004.